Skip to main content

I was placed on deed to rental property my husband owned prior to our marriage as joint tenant. What happens during divorce, CA.

Glendale, CA |

I was placed on deed at request of title company, but then taken off deed while husband took mortgage out alone. After mortgage was completed, husband put me back on deed as joint tenant. Am I entitled to a portion of the house I never lived in because I am listed on deed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If the community contributed to or made mortgage payments and/or improvements, you may be entitled to a share of the property. It all depends on the accounting. It would be in your best interest to consult a family law attorney concerning this property and other divorce issues.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


Your entitlement to an interest in this property depends on many details that we don't have.

Are you trying to do a do-it-yourself divorce? If so, are you and your husband in agreement with who is entitled to what from this house?

If not you will need a qualified divorce attorney anyway.

In addition to relatively tricky questions of community property (anything your husband earned while married to, or, for that matter, anything you earned while married to him), I wonder if your husband intended to give you a one-half interest in the house as a gift when he >

Talk with a lawyer if there is any question about who gets what from this house.

I answer questions on Avvo based on limited information provided in a short query received over the internet. These impersonal communications are not intended to create an attorney client relationship. In my practice, the attorney client relationship is entered into after each has evaluated the other and the terms are set forth in an engagement letter. I am happy to provide a limited initial consultation with potential clients at no charge.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer