I was other than honorably discharged from the navy.....does this make me not eligible to be a citizen of the United States?

Homestead, FL |

I've been a permanent resident of the United States for 34 years and I am 35 now.

Filed under: Immigration

There is no direct connection between Naturalization and less than honorable discharge; With that said, if the discharge was as a result of a criminal activity, it may interfere with the finding of good moral character, show if which is one of the requirements for naturalization eligibility

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

As with most cases, it is fact specific. The OTH itself will not be the issue, but the underlying reason. You need to see a local immigration attorney.

It depends on why you were discharged.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.