Skip to main content

I was notified by mail that I am being charged with violation of PC 148.5 in California. Do I need an attorney?

San Luis Obispo, CA |

I was charged with filing a false police report in California. I never filled out an actual report. I went to the police station to inquire about investigating a potential identity fraud situation. Two days later the cop called me saying he needed some clarification. I went back to the police station and what followed was pure harassment! He had pulled information on me from years ago. The next thing I know (5 months later!) I receive the letter stating that charges had been brought against me by the DA's office!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should see an attorney.
You should not speak to any other police or DA investigators.


The bottom line is that if you're being charged with a criminal offense, you need representation. Probation, jail time, community service and a criminal conviction are all at stake. Yes, you need a lawyer.

If you can afford to do so, hire one ASAP so they can appear on your behalf on your court date. If you cannot afford an attorney, you must appear on your scheduled date and request the services of the public defender.