Skip to main content

I was medically discharged from the Army Rerserve in July 2010 and want it reversed cause it put me in debt without warning.

Reading, PA |

I was sent to Walter Reed to see a doctor for discharge for medical reasons and 6 months later was officially honorable discharged for medical reasons, I checked and signed a paper acknowledging it and wished for discharge all together. Now I owe 15,000 of "pre given" money for sign on bonus. Now a credit collector will not stop calling me because I owe in the amount 15,000.00+ dollars. I have been on SSI for a year. What is the policy of the Military on psychological disorders? I owe them a lot of money cause they didn't want to see me again. I do not intend on paying them back either. I am going to blame it on personal vendetta cause my equipment was stolen too. I am so pissed and goto college living with this

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you are being hounded by anyone, consider changing your phone number.

The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


If the amount claimed is not owed, then you need to speak with a local lawyer familiar with the Fair Debt Collection Act. Even if the money is owed, collectors do not have the right to harass you. An attorney should also be able to assist in getting the harassing calls to stop.


You cannot be hounded for your debt--you are protected from such action under the acts that some of the previous attorney's mentioned. Follow their advice.

Couple things strike me as I read your post:
1. Who do you owe? The government or some other creditor? I am unaware of the federal government selling debt to third party collectors. Sounds like you were discharged and heavily in debt to someone else, and you were counting on an enlistment bonus to cover the debt--but since you didn't complete your service, you didn't get the enlistment bonus.

2. Not sure what you mean by a personal vendetta related to stolen equipment. Doesn't make sense.

3. You wrote that you had no warning of your discharge, but also wrote that you had six months’ notice (the time between your appointment to 'see a doctor for discharge for medical reasons a the honorable discharge six months later). This would make it appear that you DID receive notice of a medical board processing your package for discharge.

Recommend you sit down with a local attorney who can review your documents and get a complete picture of your situation. a

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM providing you educational information NOT legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


To add a little to Mr. Rixon's answer.
If you left the military and had not completed the required time served for an enlistment bonus or school payments, they can "recoup" the money.
Normally you get a notice with an opportunity to negotiate a waiver and/or payment plan.
However, here is a good link to start looking at "out of service debts," and how DFAS, the military financial organization goes about collections once discharged.

Unfortunately it may be that you didn't get the required notice, or if you did you didn't respond in time.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer