Skip to main content

I was married religiously in a Sikh temple will it be considered legal aswell? a certified priest stamped marriage cert.

New York, NY |

my wife and i separated she has our child is this marriage legal ? it would be under the HINDU MARRIAGE ACT OF 1955 would this apply to me and her we are born USA citizens both of the Sikh religion. can i use this to prove that i was married to her inorder to put my name on his birth record so that i can get custody/visitation

the marriage TOOK PLACE IN THE UNITED STATES AS WELL city of NEW YORK The priest gave us a marriage certificate with our names on it and with his signature and his certified priests stamp on it saying he did this marriage . and about 100 other witnesses

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Did you get a marriage certificate from the County Clerk's office? If yes, then the religious ceremony is proper. You can got custody and or visitation even if you are not married providing you are the biological father of the child. You would need to file with the family court where the child is located. Consult with a local family law attorney to help yoy.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Religious ceremony without an official certificate of marriage does not make the marriage legal.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Dear New York Spouse:

Marriages in New York State require a marriage license prior to the solemnization of the marriage in a religious ceremony.


New York City has its own special rules relating to the marriage license:

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer