Skip to main content

I was late on my rent, now the land lord sent me a bill for $317 lawyer fee and court cost. Do I have to pay that fee?

Paterson, NJ |

This is the first time I'm late in 7 years in that apartment. I was late by one week. How can I respond to his request to pay the fee?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Answer: Not enough facts to properly answer

Explanation: You lease will control on this issue. If your lease says that after one week of being late that he may charge you reasonable attorney fees, costs and a late fee then maybe. But more likely than not it was a form letter. Unfortunately, I cannot be more specific with my answer because I do not know if the attorney sent you any correspondence, if the attorney filed an eviction action or any facts other than what you have provided in your brief description. Again, you should read your lease to see what is permitted and what is not permitted. If you require additional information or have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact my Firm.

Please be advised that the information provided in this answer is for general informational purposes only. While we strive to ensure that the information is accurate, without knowledge of all of the facts of a particular matter, this Firm's information and answers are not guaranteed. Further, the Law Firm's answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you need further advice or wish to retain our Firm, please contact us by e-mail or phone.



Thank you Mr. Jones.


Possibly. Did your landlord file to evict you for non-payment of rent? If so, then $317 may be a reasonable fee for same. If your landlord hasn't filed against you, then it's difficult to see what legal fees were incurred such that you should be paying for his attorney.

Without more information, it's difficult to say more.

The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.