Skip to main content

I was just convicted of a misdemeanor unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. What type of fine will I have to pay?

Malone, NY |

I am a teenager and this is the first time I've been arrested. It was my relatives vehicle.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Did you plead guilty or get convicted after trial? If you plead you should have been told the sentence ahead of time. I hope you are getting Youthful Offender. Why did your relative press charges against you?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The maximum fine is $1000 so it could be anything from zero to one thousand dollars in addition to mandatory court surcharges and DNA fee. You also face up to 3 years probation or one year in jail. If this was a negotiated plea bargain, all details of what your punishment will be should have been discussed before you agreed to it.

I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.


Up to 1,000 dollars and surcharges and victm fee

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer