I was just awarded temporary child support order. Order states ALL payments must be made through State Disbursement Unit, bad???

I heard that it is a bad thing to involve Child Support Services in child support court orders, because the Judge looses jurisdiction over the child support case. Is this true? When I looked at the State Disbursement Unit, I found that it is through child support services. Now, I am scared that this agency will take over. Is it really bad to go through the SDU and why? Also, there was a spousal support order, can this be paid through the State Disbursement Unit too?

No, it's not a bad thing. The up side is that they will enforce the order for you and go after the payor spouse/parent if he/she gets behind in support payments, without you having to bear the cost of pursuing it in court. And, it's the law. Yes, you can add spousal support. Be sure to contact child support services to open up a case for you: Their web-site is

http://cssd.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/cssd

How do I open a child support case?
There are several ways to apply:
1. You can apply online using the State Online Application (SOLA)
2. You can download an application
3. You can have an application mailed to you by calling 1-866-901-3212.
o Applications are also available at the LCSA in your county of residence
Completed applications with an original signature can be mailed to, or dropped off at your LCSA to be processed. For more information read PUB 246: Opening a Child Support Case.

Thank you for your time. Is it true that the Judge handling my child support and divorce case will lose jurisdiction over it once this disbursement unit is involved?

Tobie Brina Waxman

Tobie Brina Waxman

absolutely not

Vincent Barney Garcia

Vincent Barney Garcia

clearly not. The court will lose jurisdiction over the case if both of you relocate away from the county.

Frankly, DCSS is quite effective in collecting support if the other party has a job with a pay check. For example, DCSS is able to suspend his license, collect from the federal tax returns through a tax intercept program and they can report him to the credit reporting agencies. Oh, and they can collect for spousal support, child support and support arrearages by wage assignment. So, it isn't a lost cause going throught the government for collections.

This answer is not intended to give you any legal advice as the information provided by you is insufficient to provide any legal advice. You must seek the services of a qualified and experienced attorney before acting on any advice from this website or any other place. Please call my office for a Free Initial Consultation by calling (909) 481-5350.

But, what if he has his own business and is lying in court about how much money he makes? We have a pending hearing to address this.

Would u recommend that I not do it through te state disbursement unit?