Skip to main content

I was issued a General Under Honorable Discharge with SPD Code JNC. Can i apply for federal employment?

Sierra Vista, AZ |

What implications would this have on my future federal employment ambition?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on the underlying misconduct, The length of time it has been since it passed, The job you are applying for, if there are any statutory bars, and if you have any other issues. federal Suitability looks at character and conduct based on all of those factors to attempt to predict you suitability as a federal employee...This forum can't get into the details you will need.

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


You can always apply. You have a better chance at obtaining federal employment if you upgrade your characterization of discharge. In order to have the characterization of discharge corrected or upgraded the only option you have it to apply to the appropriate military board for the correction of records in Washington D.C. Which board you apply to will depend on your service. I currently have a case pending and am very familiar with the process. You can find more information on my website. Feel free to give me a call to discuss further. The initial consultation is always free.


Yes, you can apply. No, your discharge does not make you automatically ineligible. What the limits are depend upon circumstances and facts you did not include, and may not know.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer