Skip to main content

I was involved in a car hitting a guy on a bike. I left the scene and I was sure they got my license. It has been four months.

New York, NY |

I haven't been contacted by police even though months have passed . Through Face book I was able to make sure the victim was OK and did not suffer any serious injuries . Should I be worried that this may come back to me , would they have contacted me already brought this in front of a grand jury in they wish to prosecute .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Yes you absolutely should be worried. You left the scene of an accident with a pedestrian. Consult a defense attorney.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Contact a criminal defense lawyer and a accident lawyer immediately. Leaving the scene of the accident may be a crime depending on injuries and the amount of property damage. Also if you are sued for money, then your insurance company may disclaim coverage based upon your on reporting the accident to the police and the insurance company.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


If there was some physical injury there is a 2 year statute of limitations.The issue is whether the biker reported it to the police... you have no way to know. If the police call don't speak without a n attorney. Did you report hte matter to your insurance company in case you get sued?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Usually the police investigate and/or arrest quite quickly in these matters. Given that nothing has happened for four months it is reasonable to assume that the victim either did not get your license plate and/or didn't call them. Also, it is possible that the police do not have your correct address and workplace information (do you have old information on your license?). You should contact an attorney to find out if you have warrants out for your arrest. If not, I think you might have gotten very lucky. If the cops do ever come, make sure you don't speak to them. Also, don't discuss this with friends and family because they can be subpoenas to testify against you.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.


Retain a criminal lawyer for representation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


The proper answer is that in New York you can be sued for up to 3 years for negligence and can still be prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident. However, if they have your plate number and you haven't been contacted by a lawyer, insurance company or the police, the likelihood is that this matter is not being pursued.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer