Skip to main content

I was involved in a car accident where I ran through a red light. I did not see the light change. Do I need an attorney?

Albuquerque, NM |
Attorney answers 8


Assuming that you have auto insurance, immediately contact your auto insurance provider. They will defend you in the car accident. If you did not have insurance, you should get a local area defense attorney to help you in the event you are sued. You did not provide many facts for an attorney to give you advice. You will need to do that with either your insurance provider or a defense attorney. Good luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


I presume that you have insurance, and thus you are asking about possibly police involvement? Insurance will take care of any civil liability, up to the policy limits. As for possibly police involvement, you might want to consult an attorney to determine whether you might be able to get out of the ticket, assuming you got a ticket.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.


You should first contact your insurance carrier. Once you have done that, take a copy of the police report to a local attorney.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Report the claim to your insurance carrier. They will defend you in this. If the injuries were substantial on the other side, you may want to talk to a lawyer. Consider getting a traffic ticket law types to fight the ticket.


You might have a traffic offense but only have to pay a fine. Get an eye checkup

Your insurance company will handle the civil claim for damages from the other motorist.

Asking questions on Avvo can be a helpful introduction to your legal issues. You should not rely solely on Internet answers. At a minimum, ask for a free consultation from a local lawyer who handles your type of case.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer and fight it.


Report this to your insurance company immediately. If you need an attorney, they will appoint you one.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.


Contact your insurance company immediately if you have not yet done so. You are probably liable for the damage to the other person's vehicle and any personal injuries they suffer.

The AVVO response or other communication by Caruso Law Offices does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please call us at 505-883-5000 for a FREE CONSULTATION with an attorney. We look forward to discussing your case in more detail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer