Skip to main content

I was in the hospital being treated for my leg injuries when I signed a consent form for a blood test. Is that consent valid?

Denver, CO |

I failed to stop at a stop sign and hit a boulder in the middle of a round a bout. I was taken to the hospital to be treated for my broken leg. While in the hospital on morphine I signed a consent form for the police to take blood to test for alcohol. Is that consent valid?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It depends. Did the officer advise you of the Expressed Consent Law in CO and the fact that you had the right to refuse to take any test? That if you refused to take a test and they believed that you were intoxicated, that your DL will be suspended for a year? We would have to look at the police reports and look at the specifics of your case to see if the officer had probable cause to suspect you of being intoxicated. Your question basically is whether morphine makes your consent to testing invalid. Not necessarily. You can make that argument to a judge as part of a motion through your attorney. However, it will depend on a number of factors - including what the medical staff said about the impact of the morphine on you at the time. Hire an attorney

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


Usually they are valid and may be very hard to invalidate.

Never consent to warrantless searches or consent to giving police evidence. Refusing a breathalyzer may been the officer asks for a blood test. Don't consent to any tests blood, breath or urine. The officer may obtain a warrant but it could be very difficult.

Attorney Gregory Spink is licensed in North Carolina, with a focused practice in Mecklenburg and Gaston Counties. Nothing is intended in this post to serve as legal advice. It is my opinion based on studying the law and passing the Bar Exam and should not be construed as legal advice. You should always contact a local attorney, who is familiar with local rules. Each case must be judged on a case by case basis with all evidence being reviewed by a licensed attorney. Nothing in this post should be construed as creating an attorney and client relationship.


Mr. Leroi gives great guidance and I'd like to offer some additional insights. It seems clear that your test result came back in either the impaired or intoxicated range which is why you are asking the question that you are. Perhaps I am wrong, but I will operate ont aht premise. The law in Colorado makes it clear that you must submite to a test of your either your blood or breath when a police officer has probable cause to believe that you have committed an alcohol-related driving offense. Intoxication, whether caused by morphine or alcohol, is not a defense that works when you are challenging the nature of your consent. You must review the police reports to understand exactl what the authorities have written about your case. Understand that even if you were successful and were able to have the blood result thrown out because of an invalid consent, the government can still prosecute you for an alcohol-related driving offense een without a result, as the indicia of alcohol are enough for a conviction. Bad driving (a crash), the likely odor of alcohol, bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, etc. are all signs that prosecutors look for when taking DUI cases to trial. Consult with a criminal defense immeidately to fully understand your possibilities -- such as Mr. Leroi!

Best of luck to you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


This is a loaded question that cannot be accuratelt answered without reviewing all the evidence, reading all the reports, potentially interviewing witnesses and even cross-examining the officer regarding your mental and physical condition at the time of the consent. Bottom line is that you need the best DUI defense attorney you can afford to represent you. Without an attorney, your options are severely limited.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.