Skip to main content

I was in an accident about two weeks ago and a girl was on the wrong side of the street as we were coming to a stop sign

Detroit, MI |

The damage was severe and the insurance company totaled the car and paid off some of what we owed but now we have no car!!! Was the insurance company supposed to do more since we had full coverage??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should discuss your coverages with your agent. They should have paid what the car was worth. Blue book value. This can be less than what is owed.

Always consult an attorney IMMEDIATELY as there are time limitations on filing a lawsuit.


Under your standard automobile policy, the carrier has to pay for the repairs to your car, or the fair market (book) value of your car if "totaled". If you took a loan out to pay for your car, that won't be covered unless you took out some form of "gap" insurance, which would cover the balance of monies owed on payments for a leased car or under a loan.


Search for a local car accident lawyer and discuss the injury and property reimbursement rules for car accidents. I believe you are saying you owed more on the total car than it was worth. In most states, property damage from a car accident is limited to the less of the cost to repair or the fair market value of the car. Check your car loan document for "gap insurance", providing coverage in this event.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at


Fair market value. Did you have GAP insurance? Were you injured? Call one of the above lawyers in your state to investigate.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer