Skip to main content

I was in a motorcycle accident & am now on ssd. I have a T.B.I. I got my settlement while living w/ my boyfriend of 3 yrs.

Harrison Township, MI |

I paid off everything, w/ my settlement money before marriage, such as $52,000 on his home and both motorcycles etc... We got married. Now he wants divorce kicked me out. he stated that if we ever broke up he would pay back the $ I have that noterized. is he entilted to that $?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to ask this of a divorce lawyer. I a,m going to re post this under divorce.


Hi Contact a divorce lawyer at once to review assets and liabilites regarding your receiving at least some of the money back. If you can trace the money and have a written promise to pay you back then that should be very helpful. Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein


You have posted a complex question that cannot be answered without additional facts. Additional factors will include the length of the marriage and the factual situation both before and after it. He will tend to want to take the position that your pay off of the home, now claims to be his home, as well as the payoff of the motorcycles which I assume are also in his name was a gift. You will argue no that it was not, and it was in anticipation of your marriage.
You will need a good attorney, and should be arguing that the parties, especially if this was a short-term marriage, should be placed back into the same situation as they were prior to the marriage before any marital assets are split. You absolutely need an attorney.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .



my accident was 3-14-2001, we were married in 11-2003 I have documentation he owes me the $ but I need the bank to get records back that far to show all i paid off, how do i get the records from bank?I have a tramatic brain injury, and only get ssd of 700.00 per month, i'm very easliy confused & I have daily attendant care services. What do I do? IM going to lose all to him w/out an atty. Is there anyone to help?

John F. Brennan

John F. Brennan


Please call my office tomorrow afternoon. 586-778-0900. I will provide a telephone consultation and attempt to work out some manner in which you can afford our representation.


I agree with Mr. Gornbein and Mr. Brennan.
Presuming that this is a relatively short marriage, the judge may be willing to get at least part of your money back to you. In any event, the only way to get specific answers to your questions is for you to meet with a lawyer who handles divorces and let the lawyer see any documents that show your agreement with your boyfriend/spouse.
Good luck with everything.
If I can be of further assistance, you can contact me at (810) 664-1388 or
Peter Conway

I am licensed to practice law in Michigan and Virginia and regularly handle cases of this sort. You should not rely on this answer. You should consult a lawyer so you can tell the lawyer the entire situation and get legal advice that is precisely tailored to your case.


You need to talk with a family law lawyer. There are many details that would need to be reviewed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer