Skip to main content

I was in a minor accident, and received a careless driving ticket in Miami, FL.

Miami, FL |

The car I hit had very minor damage on the bumper. The officer did not see the accident and there were no witnesses. What should I and should I not say in court? I'm fighting the ticket myself. This is my first offense. In addition, the other person is filing an injury claim, although he was visibly fine after the accident and there was no ambulance called. How will the verdict affect my insurance? If at all.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


I would not advise you to represent yourself when you are being sued for personal injury. You are opening yourself up for a whole host of issues. I strongly advise you to contact a local attorney today.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You need to immediately report this incident to your auto insurance company. The insurer will assign an attorney at its cost to defend you in any civil suit that the injured person may file. You are making a mistake in attempting to defend yourself in court against the careless driving charge. I suggest that you retain an attorney to represent you. Use the Avvo find a lawyer function to locate an experienced attorney in Miami.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.


You need to contact a traffic tix attorney to help you resolve the matter.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.


Retain a local traffic court lawyer to fight it.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


As a Florida lawyer,I would advise you to hire a traffic ticket attorney.It will be a good investment as to protecting your driving record and explaining the insurance issues,claims issues and maybe getting some helpful testimony from the "injured" party.


Traffic ticket: You may want to attend traffic school to avoid the points.
Injury claim: Notify your insurance company ASAP.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website


Report this matter to your car insurance company. They will provide you a lawyer and attempt to settle your case. For the ticket, call one of those ticket attorneys to defend you. If the alleged victim does not show for the trial of the traffic ticket, the case will get dismissed by the magistrate hearing the matter.

Sagi Shaked is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney. To schedule a free consultation, call (877) 529-0080 or (305) 937-0191. I am licensed in Florida, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or Florida law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only and do not create an attorney client relationship. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is different and fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer