Skip to main content

I was in a local night club on Halloween with a few coworkers and was assaulted by the bouncer, he hurt me for no reason. Case??

Traverse City, MI |

I was treated at a hospital for separated ribs, back/neck problems and shoulder issues. I was arrested for assult on another person, I was wrongly accused and was found not guilty at my jury trial, the judge dropped everything. I want to sue the night club for the injuries, pain and suffering that this has caused me, the emotional distress, my partial salary for me losing my job because i had to go to jail for the night for no reason, and all of the money i had to spend on going threw the court system on a crime i did not commit ..Do i have a Case????!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8

Best Answer

You should definitely contact a personal injury attorney. Most of us offer free consultations. You (or whichever attorney you hire, if you act quickly enough) should also send a preservation letter to the club indicating that you intend to file a lawsuit and reminding them of their duty to preserve evidence relating to the incident. You should also order your medical records if you have not already done so. I hope this helps. Take care.

Mickey Larson Law Office, PLC
192 East Division Street
Sparta, MI 49345

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer a 10% discount on my fee.


Based upon these facts you may. Contact local and qualified counsel asap. There may be more than one claim and more than one defendant and there may be short notification requirements.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff



Do you have any referral resources in Michigan? Do most attorneys do this on consignment?

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams


I should not speak for MI counsel, but there may be some disbursements (particularly in the investigatory stages) that would be your responsibility. Search avvo, call your state's trial lawyers association or try


You likely have a claim, although more information is needed. Contact a local attorney. Don't let your rights lapse.


Many night club bouncers seem to relish in abusing patrons when given the opportunity. I am sorry to read of your troubles. Absolutely consult a personal injury attorney in your state to fully evaluate the merits of your case. Best of luck.

The author of this answer is an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of Arizona. Unless both you and the author have signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not the author's client, and the author's discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author, and are neither privileged nor confidential.


Possibly? You definitely need to consult with an attorney. Many of us will do a free consultation in the office or over the phone.


Best to get a personal injury attorney to do a full review of the facts, but it sounds like a potential case. Night clubs constantly get in trouble with the overly aggressive actions of their bouncers, who sometimes cross the line and go to far, as it sounds like might have happened in this case.


Sure you can sue. The issue is, can you win? On your lawsuit against the establishment and bouncer, you have the burden of proof, unlike the criminal case where the state has a very high burden of proof. Therefore, the witnesses and videos become extremely important. That will determine the liklihood of your success.


When I first started practicing, I handled several cases against bouncers. The one thing I did when a client came in was the police records of the amount of times the police were called to bar for trouble. Then I would review the reports to see if any other people were assaulted or wrong injured by a bouncer. If so, I would contact that person and see if they were interested in joining the suit. I was profitable but they are tricky cases usually everyone has a different story. There were a lot of false accusations. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer