Skip to main content

I was in a car accident and was given a ticket for failure to maintain lain change. Would it be beneficial to go to court?

Kennesaw, GA |

I came into a lane and the other person was coming much faster than I could tell and they honked so I came back into my lane. They over corrected and swerved and came back into my lane and hit me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes, you should hire an attorney to represent you too. The few hundred you pay the attorney will save you many times that amount in lower insurance premiums down the road.

This response does not create a lawyer client relationship. Each case is determined on its specific facts and this reply is intended for a general audience and facts particular to your case may affect the answer. Consult with an attorney in person for specific answers to your questions.


Traffic tickets are usually worth fighting because fines are often high, and they add points to your records which mean rate increases from your insurance company. Was the other person cited as well, or just you? Any injuries? If you were both cited, it may be possible to get both tickets dismissed if there were no injuries. Even if you were the only person cited, it may be possible to get a dismissal if the damage was minor and no injuries. Call an attorney to get some advice on options.

For more information, contact us at or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.


I agree with my colleagues. Protect yourself - get a traffic ticket attorney. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


Even if you ignore the fine and the points (and you shouldn't), a hidden cost of a ticket is often increased insurance rates. So it certainly makes sense to see a lawyer before court and discuss what you should do.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer, and your chances for a successful resolution increase exponentially.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer