Skip to main content

I was in a car accident and was at fault, but found out that I had a lapse in coverage. What to do?

Ellenwood, GA |

When I called my insurance company , i found out that there was a lapse in coverage . Therefore , I was not insured at the time of the accident per my insurance company and my request to cover was declined . I went to court and the accident case was dismissed due to the other party's non attendance . Today , I received a letter from the other party's insurance company and it states that if I don't have insurance I must call them immediately .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


DO NOT make that phone call until you consult a local attorney! Call one right now!

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Agreed. When you say the accident case was dismissed I understand that to mean the citation was dismissed? The insurance company will have a valid subrogation claim against you if you admit or were at fault. Talk to an attorney about your options

* Please note that I am an Attorney practicing in Georgia, but I am not your attorney. This post is intended to provide some helpful insight into your particular situation, but it should not be taken as legal advice. If you would like to discuss your Georgia Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, or Criminal case, I am happy to discuss your specific situation with you at no cost to you. I can be reached at 404-996-5157 or If you found this Answer "Helpful" or " The Best Answer", please click the tab indicating that. Thank you!


You need to contact an attorney who will charge you by the hour to assist you with the defense of the other party's insurance company's claim. If you don't call their insurance company, you may end up getting sued. If you receive a copy of a summons and complaint served on you by a sheriff's deputy you need to hire a lawyer and file an answer within 30 days.


Get a good civil lawyer (don't talk to the insurer without counsel). You probably will have to pay the damages. If you don't make arrangements to do so, they can get your license suspended until you pay, even for life (bankruptcy may be a way out, so ask your lawyer that as well). Act soon, as in today, and treat this as a top priority.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


You are responsible for the damages to the other party. You have to pay them out of pocket or by any other means you have that could cover their damages.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
- William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.


I would retain a local lawyer. The lawyer will first see investigate this supposed 'lapse', as the insurance company may still be responsible.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I would not recommend that you call the other insurer as they will probably ask you for a recorded statement of your version of how the incident occurred, and in any event calling them will almost certainly not benefit you in any manner. Unfortunately , since you were uninsured you will not only have to pay for an attorney if they sue you but you will also have to pay any judgement they may obtain against you. You need to speak to an attorney before you speak to anyone else about this incident. Hopefully, the other party's damages, including property damage to their vehicle and injuries, if any, are minimal. Any contact by you with the other party and/or their insurer and attempting to settle the case yourself is not a good idea at all. I wish you good luck.

Law Offices of Robert G. Rothstein

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate that to Avvo. Thank you.


I agree with the other responders, you need to contact an attorney to assist. Unfortunately, without insurance, you will have to pay for the attorney fees.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer