Skip to main content

I Was In a School Bus Crash in Spring of 2009. My the Officer that hit our Bus was at fault.I Suffered from severe whiplash.

Deerfield Beach, FL |

My Bus driver was not At fault.The Police officer that hit our Bus ran a Red light clearly and on camera.The After math was I suffered from Severe Whiplash and Mild Concusion.At the time I was a Minor.I was Wondering what would the compensation (pay) be when the case is Settled,even if i still suffer from the injuries?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


The Statute of Limitations if generally 4 years and you would have a claim against the government known as sovereign immunity. Given it has been quite some time, adjusters for the City or County will look upon your case with scrutiny if you haven't made a claim before now. You should speak to a personal injury lawyer. Compensation in these cases depend an the amount and consistency of your treatment, the amount of injury you have and prognosis of recovery as determined mostly by your doctor.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at


You should gather any documentation, including police report and medical records, and contact an attorney to discuss your claim.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You need to contact a lawyer ASAP. SOL issues, sovereign immunity, proper statutory notice, lots of hot bed issues and sounds like you don't have time to wait and play around with it. Hopefully it was in the end of 2009, giving you a few months to get it sorted out.


This is a negligence claim; so you'd better hurry. Negligence claims in Florida have a 4 year statute of limitations; and claims against municipalities (cops) require formal notice and a waiting period before you can file suit. If you haven't already put the government on notice, then your case might already be barred from ever being able to file suit. I wonder whether your notice requirement could be satisfied if another claimant had already put the government on notice. Hopefully another lawyer can comment on that for us.
Now, as for value of your case... Personal injury case values are the sum of your allowable damages. There are economic damages like lost wages, diminished future earnings capacity, past and future medical expenses, and other related money that this has cost you or is reasonably expected to cost you in the future. Then there are the non-economic intangible damages like pain & suffering, mental anguish (e.g. fear of reinjury, depression, anxiety, etc.), scarring, and loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life. These damages all have past (meaning "so far") and reasonably expected future components.
In trial, we try our best to itemize these damages so the jurors can total them up on the verdict form.

Dennis Phillips is an attorney and financial planner based in South Florida. He is a member of the Florida bar, he holds the nation-wide Series 65 Investment Advisor license, and holds an insurance license in Florida and Virginia. Disclaimer: The response above is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, would significantly alter the above response.


Better retain a local personal injury lawyer in Deerfield Beach immediately so you don't have a statute of limitations problem.


ForYou may have statute of limitations, notice issues and other legal issues that need to be addressed immediately.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Contact an attorney today to arrange an appointment.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer