Skip to main content

I was hit by an uninsured motorist, what can I do

Washington, DC |

I was hit in the rear end in Washington D.C. traffic. We exchanged information but when I called his insurance company they said his insurance was canceled. I only have liability coverage what can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


If he has no insurance then your only option would be to sue the other driver in small claims court.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Agreed, unless you have collision coverage on your vehicle your only recourse is to sue the uninsured driver.


This is why having uninsured motorist (UM) coverage is so important. Good luck


Small claims court. Please get UIM/UM coverage to protect yourself.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Perhaps he has liability coverage with another carrier; or was operating his vehicle in the course & scope of his employment etc. , or was not the registered owner of the vehicle,. You need to investigate several other avenues of possible proof of liability coverage. In California, I would file a report with the department of motor vehicle & follow up with their investigation. You need to seek the advise of a good Washington D.C. attorney!!!

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California attorney not licensed to practice in Washington D.C. Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


Small claims court.


Double check your policy. Oftentimes, even with no collision coverage, you may have uninsured motorists coverage (it's a very inexpensive premium to add). Also, if your were injured, you may also have personal injury protection coverage, which wold pay for medical bills and lot wages. If none, then you can do a little research on the vehicle owner and driver. If there's more than one registered owner, or if the owner is different from the driver, you may have a claim against the other owner, who either has assets or other potential insurance. If the driver was not the owner, then it is possible the driver borrowed the car, but otherwise has his own insurance on another vehicle. If none of these scenarios apply to you, then I am afraid you may be stuck with filing a direct suit against the driver/owner. You should always carry uninsured motorists coverage, especially in the District.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer