Skip to main content

I was hit as a pedestrian and he drove from the his info but don't know if he has insurance.

Chicago, IL |
Attorney answers 9


Call the police and give them the info on the car that hit you. that is hit and run a criminal offense. Hopefully they will trace the owner and driver. The police should ask if you can describe the driver. Assuming it was the drivers fault you were hurt, you can sue the driver and possibly the owner once identified. If you have no insurance, your state may have some victim of crime fund to help with uninsured losses. The police or states atty office should be able to assist you or perhaps you can search online.

If the other parties have no ins or cant be identified, if you have uninsured motorist coverage on any auto policy you have, you should qualify to make an uninsured motorist claim. That would be for your med bills, time missed from work, pain and suffering, etc. If you personally have no auto ins, but you live with a relative who does have, you may be able to get coverage under that policy for uninsured motorist. If you have auto ins or again live with a relative who does, you may also be eligible for med pay coverage if there is any on the policies. That coverage will pay for med bills. Either way, you should get all necessary med treatment asap. Your health is the most important thing. Follow up with a personal injury lawyer in your area for specific advice on Il law.


Make an immediate hit & Run report with the police. If you ascertained his correct license plate number they will be able to trace the vehicle's owner. Once identified, the police will be able to learn if there is a liability insurance policy on the vehicle. You need to speak to an IL. attorney immediately, especially if you sustained personal injuries. I am a California personal injury attorney, but am not licensed to practice law in IL. In California If the owner and/or driver of the vehicle has no liability coverage, and you have an automobile with uninsured motorist coverage you would be able to present an uninsured motorist coverage - only an IL. attorney could inform you if that is the law in your state. SEEK THE ADVICE OF A LOCAL ATTORNEY. Good luck.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


Report to the police, and they will track down his insurance info.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Take his info to DMV and they will give you info on ownership of vehicle.


Make sure you file a police report if you haven't already. As the others have said, they should be able to track down the owner and possibly the driver.

Get immediate medical attention for any injuries you have, do not "tough it out". Additionally speak directly with an Illinois personal injury attorney immediately. He or she will be able to help you protect your rights and potentially any recovery you may be entitled to under the law.

My office handles such cases on a regular basis, if you would like call me for a free consultation. 630-679-0930. No fees are charged on personal injury cases until we collect for you.


Report the incident to the police and they will help you find this person m

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Give police at fault driver info so a police report is issued. Then sue the at fault driver.

Sagi Shaked is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney. To schedule a free consultation, call (877) 529-0080 or (305) 937-0191. I am licensed in Florida, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or Florida law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only and do not create an attorney client relationship. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is different and fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


I agree with the others. There is one more thing. IF you drive, you must be insured. IF you are insured, you really should have uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage for situations such as this. First of all, insurance is THE LAW. Second, it is for situations where the other driver either leaves the scene or is grieviously underinsured.

Report it and hopefully the police will identify the other driver. You can hope he is insured. If not, you have no realistic option.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


If you live with someone that has uninsured motorist coverage, you may fall under that coverage. It often depends upon the language of the policy.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer