Skip to main content

I was granted my u visa in 2012. for a family emergency i need to go to my country at least for a week. can i come back to USA?

Staten Island, NY |

I have my work authorization i really need to go coz my father is really sick i will be coming back with in 2 weeks. plz let me know if i will be able to come back to usa without any problems. thank you. any answer given is much appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am sorry to hear that your father is ill. Regarding your U visa, do keep in mind that "continued" presence is needed for at least three years if you plan to AOS in the future.

Also, when you attempt to reenter you will be an "arriving alien". If you have any "issues" you may be detained or not allowed to reenter.

So, I would suggest that you discuss your particular situation with an experienced immigration lawyer. Good luck.


It will depend on a number of circumstances surrounding your case. Keep in mind that if you are inadmissible, you can be denied reentry, even if you have a valid visa. You should consult with an immigration attorney before you leave. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer