Skip to main content

I was granted a divorce on Feb 21 2014, it was mutually agreed to we went before the judge, and divorce was granted.

New Caney, TX |

In divorce l was to get the car and him pay for it, 4 days after divorce car was repossessed for 5 months past due, l received a 25,000 hospital bill day after divorced signed, and agreement pertaining to marital home signed 6 months before divorce, not part of divorce, we had mutual signed agreement before divorce was filed, now he says he got his divorce he doesn't have to honor that agreement, and there is nothing the judge or l can do about anything including my car, What if anything can l do? please help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Consult with an attorney immediately and ask if you have grounds for a Motion for New Trial. There is a very strict time limit for such a motion and you should see an attorney today if possible.


I agree with the previous answer. This is a time sensitive issue and you should contact an attorney in your area today. As to the agreement regarding the marital home, if it is in writing and signed by both parties it is likely a contract that you can have enforced in a civil court if the family court won't hear it. An experienced attorney will be able to help you. Best of luck!


Take your decree to a lawyer quickly for a consultation. Long story short, an order for him to pay a debt is not enforceable by contempt. You do need to spend some time with a lawyer in a face to face meeting. Did you have a lawyer representing you in the divorce? if so, start with him/her.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


You have only until 30 days after the Judgment was signed to file a motion for new trial. If you had an attorney and temporary orders regarding who was going to pay various debt during the marriage, that could have helped to avoid this. I don't see it affecting a hospital bill. If it was yours, you would likely have been awarded that debt. A decree can be enforced by a motion for enforcement if it is clear enough to be enforced. It can also be clarified by the Court. If you contact the lender on the car they may let you catch the car up and get it returned to you. You didn't include the real property in your divorce decree. Good Lord. You have about one day left to get that motion for new trial on file.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship