Skip to main content

I was given a ticket for speeding but I sped up to avoid an accident, should I fight it?

Lincoln, NE |

I was on my motorcycle in the middle lane of a three lane street. There was a car on my left and one behind me. A car pulled out of a parking on my left into my lane, therefore committing an improper lane change. I decided it wouldnt be wise to quickly apply my brakes because of how close the car behind me was following. Instead I made the quick decision to speed up into that outside lane to avoid running into the back of the car in front of me, or avoid the possibility that the car might move to the outside lane as well. Obviously they did not see me in the first place. At that same time there was a cop which pulled me over for speeding. I tried to explain the situation to him but he still issued me a ticket even though he saw the car do it. Shoud I try to fight this in court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It would be worth your while to consult with a traffic attorney familiar with the judges and practices in the court where you received the ticket to explore your options. An attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court will know the likelihood of negotiating such a resolution given the circumstances of your case.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer