Skip to main content

I was driving DUI and caused at 4 car accident. Two of the parties are suing me. How much will they be awarded?

San Diego, CA |
Attorney answers 7


Who knows. You're in for a heap of trouble no matter how luck you you are to have survived the accident. Has your criminal case resolved?

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference



What is the actual amount that is usually given in these situation?


Determination of the value of the claims of those injured in car accidents requires a detailed look at the actual damages. The injury itself is part of the value determination. The effects of the injury on the individual are a factor. So, there's no way to even "ball park" the claims based on a few lines posted on a computer website.


Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


Have you asked your lawyer?

Only two?

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:


If you had insurnace, your carrier should be providing you with a legal defense, which includes appointment of an attorney to help you defend against the allegations. I say this assuming the situation has been reported to the carrier. If it has not, make sure you do that right away (provide a copy of the lasuit served upon you).

Because alcohol is involved in your case, there is what we call extra-contractual liability. That means that your carrier does not have to pay for the punitive damages that could be awarded against you by a jury for the alcohol-related driving. For that, you need personal counsel to consult with to protect your assets.

The only good news for you is that the insurance defense attorney will hopefully work hard to resolve all claims against you within your policy limits.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Speak to a lawyer immediately-do not make comments and admissions in a public forum.


Hire the best criminal defense and/or civil defense attorneys you can afford. They might be able to give you a reasonable estimate as to what, if anything, your insurance (assuming you had insurance at the time of the collisions) will not cover.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555


Without knowing the injuries of the parties involved or the amount of comparative negligence, if any, that may apply to them, it is impossible to answer your question. Since you are now being sued, I assume your automobile liability insurance company has appointed an attorney to represent you. Schedule a face-to-face meeting with your civil defense counsel to discuss the possible value of the claims. Your attorney will be in a much better position to advise you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer