Skip to main content

I was discharged from the Marine in 2001 with an uncharacterized discharge, separation code of JGA1 and reentry code of RE-4.

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA |

Can I reenlist? while in I was a Rifle Expert Badge holder and received a Good Conduct Medal. I was only in for 6 months 10 years ago but I would like to finish what I started. I can't find anything in my records that states any bad conduct. I was told by my discharge officer that the next time he sees me, I'd better by on a magazine. Is there any change I can reenlist. I will be 33 in August 2013 and I'm afraid I'm running out of time. This is something I truly want to do. Can anyone help?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


This is not an immigration quesiton.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


This question was mis-classified because you used the words re-entry permit ... I'll remove those words and you might be able to get a military/JAG lawyer to answer.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You need a lawyer familiar with military law.


RE4 code normally means ineligible for reenlistment. There may be waivers or appeals to change RE code but in a drawdown you should not be too optimistic in getting back in when there are plenty of recruits without your baggage..

I buy you might have received an Expert Marksman Award because you might have shot well in basic, but I don't buy that you received the Good Conduct Medal. Normally takes three three years or one year in combat. Some one who had an involuntary, entry level discharge for performance and conduct is not going to get a GCM...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


Only a recruiter can tell you whether you can reenlist, but with an RE4, the odds are next to zero. There are ways to get an RE code changed, but you have to prove that they gave you the wrong RE Code.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.


I take it you were a Marine. In order to have the characterization of discharge corrected or upgraded or the RE Code changed, the only option you have it to apply to the Board for Correction of Naval Records in Washington D.C. I currently have a case pending before the Board and am very familiar with the process. Feel free to give me a call to discuss further. The initial consultation is always free. You can find out more information at the following website: