Skip to main content

I was designated as a habitual offender, but am now eligible to receive a hardship license. I work most days at a sign shop...

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

... a job that I've had for 3 years. But, on off days and weekends, I do mobile window tinting and decorative glass coatings. I am hoping to qualify for the Business Purposes license. But I am not sure what I need to show at the hearing in order to qualify. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A BPO license allows you to drive for work, church, educational purposes, and medical driving. At your hearing they will ask you why you need a license and they will give you a license based on your needs. If you have a job a BPO allows you to drive to and from work and any necessary on the job driving. I dont think they will ask for proof but some pay stubs should do the trick. As far as your side business is concerned i would be more worried about convincing an officer that pulls you over that you are driving for a legitimate purpose. I would make sure to have business cards or other information which proves you are driving for a legitimate purpose.


Call a traffic attorney in whatever county you received your three qualifying offenses (that triggered the HTO revocation) - a traffic attorney may be able to lift one of your prior convictions, which would remove the HTO from your driving record - as if you never had it. Then you won't need a BPO or SR-22, it's definitely worth looking into. answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction. Learn more about my practice at


Of course, bring any proof of your employment status. I would recommend contacting a lawyer to assist you.


An HTO suspension is for 5-years. After one year you can request a hearing to obtain a Business Purpose Only license for the remaining 4-years. This is a class E license with a "C" restriction. To get this you will need to have completed the Advanced Driver Improvement course (ADI). This is a 12-hour class and can be taken online. Contact the nearest DMV Bureau of Administrative Reviews for your hearing.

Please do not construe any information provided here as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by answering these questions. Therefore, anything you write here can possibly be used against you, so be careful what you write. Contact an attorney to discuss your case further in the proper consultation setting.