Skip to main content

I was currently served with a petition to modify the parent-child relationship involving my son.

Houston, TX |
Attorney answers 5


Take the petition and seek an attorney's counsel on the matter. While you could respond and do it yourself, it's always best to get an attorney to help you when it comes to children.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.


A petition is a request by the party for the court to do something. Every case is different even though the issues may appear the same (child support, visitation, custody, etc.) Your family situation is not the same as your neighbors and so it is always beneficial to at least consult a family law attorney regarding your next step. This is especially true if the other side is represented by an attorney.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney-client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Maria Tu, 2800 West Parker Road #110, Plano, Texas 75025 972-964-8366


Next step. Call local family law attorneys. They'll speak with you initially for free and you can discuss the specifics of your case.

BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Contact Steve Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.


You need to answer first, other wise a default will be taken. You need to troubleshoot the facts to see what they want and then how best to fight or swing a deal


As others have said, you need to do "something" to answer this modification petition, or else you risk having the other side get a default judgment. "Something" may be just sending a letter to the court, AND the attorney on the other side, saying you do not agree with what the petition requests.

Most of the time, if the issue is child support, well, that's a numbers game. If you're making significantly more now than when the original decree/order was put in place, the custodial parent has the right to seek an increase. Child support issues, for the most part, are not all the complicated.

If the petition seeks to change custody, or change the terms of possession and access (visitation), or to remove a geographic restriction, you likely need to contact/hire an attorney as these issues can be pretty complicated.

But the first thing is to not let the other side get a default.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer