Skip to main content

I was convicted of murder and would like to sponsor my immigrant wife. I am on parole and cannot show taxes on I 864, but can

Alpena, MI |

show I have a job with income. Not enough to sponsor alone, but can I sponsor with a joint sponsor? Do I need to file I-130 and prove we a are living together, married legally, and show a combined asset, such as lease and bank account statements? What problems could we have?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Under the Adam Walsh Act, certain convictions can bar U.S. citizens from petitioning for their family members. If your income is insufficient for the Affidavit of Support, and if your wife will need an Affidavit of Support, you can use a qualified Joint Sponsor. The petitioning process starts with the I-130 petition but that is only the first step in the process. As your questions show, this is not an easy process and it is important to have competent representation.

The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known and detailed research has not been undertaken. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers require an investigation into all facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. Use these answers at your own risk.


I agree with my colleague

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer