Skip to main content

I was conned into investing my life saving of $54,556 with a company handling my divorce .

San Diego, CA |

Before the investment was made they did not give any legal documents to review, approve or sign .I have no evidence of the investment. The cashier"s check was made to A 1 legal law offices . I did received a $1000 checks as dividend on the investment from December of last year until march of this year. Since April they stopped paying me the annuity . I don"t know where is the money invested into as to with what company or agency. I feel that this company is fraud , scam and took advantage of me . When I do call requesting for information they keep hanging up on me I also don"t see any evidence showing they are registered licences to do investment. I need some help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Very sorry to hear you are dealing with this. It must be very frustrating. To provide a solid answer to your question I would need to know more details about your case. For instance, can you provide a paper trail or any proof that you wrote a cashier's check to this law office? Do you have any letters or statements from the law office discussing your investment? That will help you. It sounds like you were represented by an attorney who convinced you to invest money with him for a fee of some sort? Is this accurate? Also, do you know the name of the attorney who was helping you with this? The answers to these questions are all very important in assessing your case. If I were you, I would speak with an attorney about this as soon as you can. Many (including my office) offer free consultations. Good luck to you.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Based just on what you have written here, I share your anxiety. This does not sound the least bit orthodox or right, and this is a lot of money to be at such risk. There are a number of law enforcement and regulatory agencies with jurisdiction and you can make complaints with each. You can hire a licensed P. I. and legal counsel to assist you in developing an concerted effort to recover your funds. You might want to consider consulting with an attorney who has special skills in fraud investigations and determinations.

One attorney with special skills in matters of fraud who participates regularly here on Avvo is Athina Karamanlis Powers:

I wish for you a successful outcome in this matter.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Athina Karamanlis Powers

Athina Karamanlis Powers


Thank u for recommending me


More facts are needed. You describe most of the elements of a fraud scheme. My advice is to act here and now! Don't wait not even for a minute...Fast acting is the best solution.
In order the check to be cashed you need some legitimate proof of a legal entity . Move fast...
Do u have a copy of the certified check you gave? How long ago you gave it who when are vital in your case.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.


I would strongly suggest contacting the California Dep't of Corporations Fraud Unit as a start:

A law firm selling an annuity product is beyond the norm. An annuity without any documentation doesn't pass the "smell test." You should contact a CA attorney to assist you in filing the complaints and gathering the information needed to protect yourself as best as possible from further losses.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer