Skip to main content

I was charged with PL 165.40 in NYC Manhattan, failed to appear at court, I am a non-resident back in Europe. Was should i do?

New York, NY |

I was in U.S. on temporary visa for 4 months only and that is the reason I left the country and did not appear at court. I have no criminal history. Is this going to affect my future visa applications for USA and am I going to be put in custody when I arrive in NYC?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is a bench warrant for your arrest and you will likely be arrested if you try to enter the USA. You should hire an attorney to get the warrant vacated and resolve the case for you. I have done this many times.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Yes--this will likely prevent your re-entry, You should hire an attorney to appear for you and vacate the warrant if the court will allow them to. This is important and will not go away even with the passage of time.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


You could have issues if a bench warrant was lodged against you. I would
recommend you hire a New York criminal defense attorney to investigate, and
see if they can vacate the warrant.

Todd A. Spodek, Esq.
Storobin & Spodek, LLP
14 Wall Street, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10005
Direct: (347) 292-8633
Main: (212) 748-9243
Fax: (212) 748-9382

The information in this email is confidential and may be privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by return email


This answer has been prepared for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice of Todd A. Spodek, Esq., Storobin & Spodek, LLP, or any of its attorneys, and is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. You should not act, or rely on any information in this website without seeking the independent advice of an attorney of your choice.