Skip to main content

I was charged with a class b misdemeanor , and the case was dismissed. Will this stay on my criminal public view record?

Houston, TX |

it is the only thing ive ever been charged with, i got arrested nd charged with a class b misdemeanor. after several courts , 24 hours of comunity service and lessonss about anti-theft shop lifting classes my case was "dismissed" will the charges still appear on my public criminal record?

if it still appears on my record what can i do to get it expunged or cleared?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, I'm afraid they will show up, unless you obtain an expunction. That may or may not be able to be done at this point. Within the first two years, expunction of a misdemeanor under those circumstances will be within the prosecutor's discretion whether to agree to or not. Once the two year statute of limitations is up, you will definitely be able to get the case expunged, but even then it's not an automatic thing. You'll need to have a lawyer file a separate civil case requesting the records be expunged, and also inquire about the possibility of doing it early, if you'd like to try to do that. Good luck.


It will remain public until it is sealed or expunged. If this was truly an outright dismissal, you can expunge it completely two years from the date of dismissal. If the dismissal was the result of the successful completion of deferred probation, you are not eligible for an expunction but you are immediately eligible to seal the record. Any defense attorney in your area can do this for you.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


If you did 24 hours of community service, sounds like you got a deferred adjudication probation as opposed to an outright dismissal. If this is correct, you can petition the court for nondisclosure which will hide the record (if granted) from most people (although not licensing agencies or law enforcement.)

Cynthia Henley

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer