Skip to main content

I was caught stealing from my former employer.

Houston, TX |

I was caught stealing certain devices that total up to 2000 at my former employer I was termitated. then I talked to the officer serving my case and I admitted to all that I stole. This is my first offense I have never ever ever been in trouble with the law. What could I be facing? I dont want to go to jail I am sorry for what I done, and extremely scared.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Based on that amount, you could be charged with a State Jail Felony. The range of punishment is 180 days in jail and up to 2 years in a State Jail. Additionally, you could be fined in an amount up to $10,000. The normal process is for the Sheriff to submit his report to the District Attorney and the District Attorney to present the case to a grand jury. If a grand jury determines that there is enough evidence to prosecute you, that will initiate a criminal case before a district court. When this happens, normally a warrant will issue for your arrest along with a setting of a bond that you may post to be released while the case is pending. Eventually, you or an attorney will have the ability to enter plea negotiations with a prosecutor. Most prosecutors would offer probation with an underlying jail sentence and some would offer a deferred adjudication which keeps the case from turning to a conviction if you complete all the terms of your probation.


You are looking at 6 months to 2 years in state jail. As this is a first offense you would mostly likely get offered deferred adjudication.

This is intended as only general legal advice. Feel to visit my website, for my blog on crime and punishment in Texas You may also email me through my site.



but my best source would be to hire a lawyer correct? your in texas do you recommend anyone in houston?


Find a good local criminal law attorney.

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The National Newark Building
744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
Newark, New Jersey 07102
(973) 735-2681 (W)
(973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(888) TAN-LAWS


Many of the previous answers are very informative. The only thing that I could add, is that if you would like to read more about the offense, you can read the following links:
Good luck. I highly recommend either hiring a lawyer or if you cannot afford one, then ask the court to appoint.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer