Skip to main content

I was caught on camera and charged with an automobile accident I literally did not know I had committed. I pulled into a parking

Columbus, GA |

space and heard way more than felt a tiny bump. I thought something had shifted in my back seat. I now face the potential loss of my driver's license, which scares me far more than the two tickets I was given. I really do not want to go to court. The police officer who wrote the tickets told me that if it were up to her, I would be in jail! What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Hire a lawyer.


You obviously are going to court, and you face more than the loss of a license, which can happen either from operation of law for certain charges or by a judge's own order, but also face possible jail and likely fines. You should alreadfy have a lawyer. Get off the computer and retain one today.

Secondly, and this may help you in court, no good driver in your situation would have assumed there was no accident. Take a state approved in person (not online) drivers improvement course. Sign up now, as some have waiting lists, and complete it before court.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


I am not sure how they operate in Columbus, but in Atlanta, there are ways to negotiate th ticket away completely or at the very least negotiate the most minimally punitive resolution posible taking into account points and insurance. As long as your insurance is working with the other party to resolve the matter, the prosecutors typuically don't go out for blood. Good luck and I hope it all works out.

For more information, contact us at or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.

Fareesh S. Sarangi

Fareesh S. Sarangi


Please excuse the typos - they are a reflection of my "smart"phone, not my general intelligence!


It sounds like you we're charged with hit and run. As you know if you are convicted of this charge your driver's license will be suspended. However, in order to be convicted of a hit and run charge you must hit an attended vehicle which means you hit a vehicle with someone in it, or standing very close by. It doesn't sound like you hit an attended vehicle, but rather hit a parked car or some other object. There is your defense to that charge. As far as what else you wee charged with those charges are probably no good because most moving violations do not apply on private property. Only a handful do such as hit and run. You should speak. It an attorney to see apt getting this case dismissed, or reduced to a charge that won't go on your driving history.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


The worst thing you can do is not go to court. Go retain an attorney in the matter.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
- William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.


You should hire a lawyer that is familiar with that particular traffic court. He can protect your interests and possibly negotiate with the prosecutor for a reduced fine and/or a reduced penalty.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you by attorney Robert G. Rothstein (404) 216-1422 for educational and informational purposes only.No attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.