Skip to main content

I was caught driving without a license in Georgia. Should I plead not guilty in an effort to reduce the fine/punishment.

Fayetteville, GA |

past record in Georgia ( 1981 attempted armed robbery) did 4 yrs in , 4 yrs parole...( 2008 theft by taking )
paid fine , no probation...( 2004..expired insurance/tag ) did probation approx 1 yr while paying off fine.. The license I had expired in 2010 due to large unpaid fines in NY however Georgia allowed me to drive from 1996-2010

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, because your license is suspended, if you go to trial and if you are convicted you will be sentenced to go to jail. I suggest you consult with a lawyer regarding ways to minimize your sentence and avoid jail. In the meantime pay your fines off and get your New York fines off and get your license reinstated. That will help you a lot.


You should hire a lawyer to keep you out of jail with that record.


No. Your best bet is to get your license back, show it to the prosecutor, and have them dismiss the charge or reduce the fine.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.