Skip to main content

I was awarded a settlement in a Civil Case and my lawyer was in trusted to collect and never did and now he is no longer a lawye

Farmdale, OH |
Attorney answers 5


Please consult another attorney immediately. You don't say when the settlement was entered. I hope the settlement is still effective. Perhaps documents needed to be entered into the court record by a specific time. You do not say why your former lawyer is no longer a lawyer - but it could be because his license was suspended for doing things such as you describe. You need to make sure that your former lawyer did not collect; for if he did collect, he may have used the settlement for himself. Also, you can check with the State Bar in the State where you live and report this problem. Good luck.


I agree with the previous response, and only add that when I worked for the Bar Association they had a robust program to assist people in situations like this. You should contact the state bar.


There is not much information. I would hire another attorney to contact the old attorney and insurance company and find out what happened and see if there is the possibility of pursuing and action. Time is of the essence in these matters so I recommend you contact another attorney immediately, you can find one on AVVO.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Contact the state bar, and they should resolve it.


I agree with the other posters. To be more specific you may want to try the Trumbull County Bar Association since that appears to be where you are located. The website is: If you judgment is another county, you should search for contact information for that particular county's bar association.

Mr. Esposito is a Ohio-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Andrew Esposito does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer