Skip to main content

I was attacked by 2 pit bulls in my neighborhood, can i file a civil suit against the owners, or insurance company?

Austin, TX |
Attorney answers 5


Yes, you should definitely file a claim against the owners of the pit bulls. Call an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

The information contained herein is not to be construed as legal advice. The questioner should seek independant legal advice from a qualified attorney after establishing a proper business relationship. Forrest Welmaker is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. No attorney fees unless a recovery is made. Doctor referrals are usually available, depending on case. Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact the Welmaker Law Firm, P.C., for a free consultation. 210-828-6033 800-494-1916


Consult with an experienced TX personal injury attorney ASAP.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.


My suggestion would be for you to hire an attorney who can notify the dogs' owners of your claim. Hopefully they are homeowners, have homeowners' insurance and there is not a coverage exclusion for pit bulls.

Disclaimer: answers posted by attorney Daragh Carter to questions posted on AVVO are NOT privileged or confidential and will not and should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship between attorney Daragh Carter and you or anyone else.


You can definitely file a civil suit but the best solution is to inform the homeowners so that their insurance can cover your personal injury damages. Hire a local personal injury attorney to assist you with this matter.

R.J. Alexander's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You need to hire for this legal concern. RJ Alexander Law is a law firm situated in Houston, Texas and continually exceeds expectations for clients in all Texas counties.


As my colleagues have suggested, consult with an attonrey who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization as soon as possible and put the homeowner's insurance carrier on notice of your claim. Good luck.

By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.