Skip to main content

I Was Attacked! What Type of Lawyer Do I Need to File a Lawsuit?

Philadelphia, PA |

I attended a weekend ski trip event and stayed at a national hotel chain outside of Philadelphia. While eating dinner at the hotel, I was physically and verbally assaulted by another hotel guest and sustained injuries to my back and foot. I filed a police report but the police did not arrest the attacker, nor did the police or hotel manager remove the attacker from the property so I was scared to stay at the hotel for the rest of the night thinking that I might see him again in the hallways or in some other common area of the hotel.

What type of lawyer do I need to file a civil lawsuit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You need an injury lawyer. Your lawyer needs to investigate if the hotel is liable for a lack of security.

Specific legal advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your situation. Posting a question on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question. If you would like to consult with me privately, you may do so by telephone at 215-423-5500.


I am sorry to hear about your trouble. A personal injury attorney can help you pursue a prospective case against your assailant and any other parties that may be responsible for what occurred (EG: the hotel, the police department, etc.). If you would like to call my office tomorrow, I can give you some additional insight.

Joseph D. Lento
Lento Law Offices
North American Building
121 S. Broad Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19107


There are many facts to consider when thinking about bringing a claim. Who is negligent and liable? This could be a case against the hotel for lack of security. Were there any witnesses who to corroborate your story? Also what caused the assault? What kinds of injuries did you sustain? Lots of question to ask a personal injury so I suggest getting a consultation so they can create a theory of liability against the negligent party. In short, have a consultation with a lawyer and see if you have a case


get all appropriate medical care,and contact a local injury lawyer. Try Mr. Lassen who posts all the time on Avvo, and who you can search on avvo to find his contact info.


As my colleagues have already indicated, a personal injury attorney is likely your best option in pursuing any recovery from the guest and the hotel. To preserve your claim, make sure your injuries and the event itself are well documented. The hotel might be found liable for inadequate security or, if alcohol was a factor, the hotel could also be liable under the Dram Shop Act. Like my colleagues, I would be happy to meet with you to discuss your problem.

Stew Crawford Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pa 19063 (Philadelphia Area)


All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.


. I think you have left out a few critical details. We,as attorneys, need all the details. Tell us the reason you believe you were attacked and all the facts revolving around your injuries.then we can give you some helpful advice.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above provided by Sandra Worthington, Esq. is general information and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by Sandra Worthington, Esq. and Worthington Law Group does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state or under Federal law.

La Donna Patrice Collier

La Donna Patrice Collier


I will provide this information during my consultation.


Best bet is to contact one of the personal injury attorneys who answered above, as my firm only handles catastrophic injuries now. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer