I was asked to testify against my daughter, but never receiver a subpoena. Do I still need to go

Phoenix, AZ |

I was asked and agreed, but the situation has changed since then. I really don't want to do this. She is my daughter.

Unless you have been subpoenaed, you are not required to appear. Be sure that you have not been served, however. Failure to appear can constitute contempt, and can result in the issuance of a body attachment (which is akin to an arrest warrant).

Alright, well I will go. Thanks for the answer.

no subponea, no requirement. However, if it is the Prosecutor's Office that you originally agreed with, rest assured a subpona is on its way....

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

No it's not the DA it's from the ex-boyfriend's lawyer. A child custody situation.

If this is a criminal matter then the prosecutor has to issue a subpoena for you and have you served; they may not have done so based on your agreement to appear, or because many prosecutors offices routinely do not subpoena every witness they may want to have testify. It could be that the prosecutor has decided he/she doesn't need your testimony to convict your daughter. If this is a civil matter, the lawyer wanting your testimony was required to subpoena you. Either way, as pointed out by my colleagues, no subpoena, no problem. As long as you're sure you weren't served.

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.