I was asked to be interviewed by a DCF woker at this time, do i have to comply or is it more right to not answer to them..

Palm Coast, FL |

I went to court today and pleaded not guilty on my battery charge against my girlfriend, I was appointed a public attorney to my case.. There is a second charge of the same nature against me, so the public attorney told me that he will fight both cases at one time... At the same time a DCF worker contacted me and asked me to come down to an interview, what should i tell her... If i don't want to speak with them so i dont implicate myself in both the cases brought against me... Is it my legal right to refuse to talk to them until i meet with my lawyer.... If so what do i tell the social investigator when she asks me to come and talk to her about the pending case against me... Is it better to wait till i meet with my attorney and then take it from there or what... Thank you

You are in a very precarious, extremely difficult position at the moment. I would absolutely recommend FIRMLY that you have absolutely no discussions with anyone without an attorney present. Obviously, you and your girlfriend have children which has led to the involvement of DCF and they have the right to talk with you, and will, or should, do the same with her. However, your public defender may be constrained by his or her office's policies in terms of accompanying you to, or otherwise being present for, the interview with DCF. While it may very well be held against you if they determine that you have not been forthcoming, it would be tremendously unfair to you, as you have the absolute right to refrain from incriminating yourself by giving statements pending trial. However, as a layperson, it may be difficult for to determine what you can talk about and what you can not talk about. For the present time, I would certainly advise that if your public defender can not accompany you to the DCF interview, you retain private counsel for this purpose. If you can not do so, I would suggest that you politely advise the investigator or attorney for DCF, that you respectfully invoke your 5th and 6th Amendment rights affording you the right to remain silent and the right to have counsel present during questioning. Do your very best to determine if your attorney can be present, or to otherwise make arrangements to have an attorney present. This situation is a difficult one and will require some technical expertise and some diplomacy, at the same time. I wish you all the best of luck.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation, or, if possible, will attempt to schedule a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

You do not have to answer the questions from DCF because you have pending cases against you and could incriminate yourself in those cases. Hire an attorney to protect your rights.

I want to seek council but don't have the funds, maybe you can refer me somewhere that helps people with low income... I can do a payment plan but i know that all attorneys require a retainer... Thank you

Do not talk to the caseworker without an attorney.

Robert Jason De Groot

Robert Jason De Groot

Well, you have 3 pending cases, two criminal, and a dependency case, right? I do take payments.

Yes that is true.... My public defender can only meet with me a month from now.. which is not enough.... what would you require to begin