Skip to main content

I was arrested on section 155.25

Garden City, NY |

i was arrested last week with stolen property worth 650.00 I was released and giving a desk ticket for tuesday of next week. I have to go do the fingerprints before my appearnce in court. what could be the outcome? no priyer larceny arrest. but had a harrassment desk ticket in 2004 and driving with suspended liscense in 2003. both dismissed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Penal Law 155.25 is a Class A misdemeanor punishable up to one year in jail and $1000 fine. If convicted you would have a permanent criminal record that could not be erased or expunged. Prosecutors are typically lenient on these cases for first arrests. However, the fact that you have had prior arrests and the amount alleged to have ben stolen is $650 is very high makes you more at risk of a bad result. There is still a chance that an experienced criminal lawyer can get this case reduced or dismissed entirely and possibly sealed. I am a former prosecutor with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law.

Richard Southard

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website


I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you can afford an attorney you should get one so you have the best possible chance of getting a deal. If you can't afford one, try to get the court to assign you one.

Your charge is: S 155.25 Petit larceny.
A person is guilty of petit larceny when he steals property.
Petit larceny is a class A misdemeanor.

It's not a felony but should still be taken seriously.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful.

Our firm has many years of experience in this field.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
Hayley Greenberg
Greenberg & Merola, LLP
Attorneys at Law
521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
New York, NY 10175
(212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
(Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)


Petit Larceny is a Class A misdemeanor. $650 is a high amount. I assume this took place in Nassau County. If so, the DA there is very tough. Expect to work hard to get a satisfactory result. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense for over 15 years and have handled cases like your in Nassau with good results. My office number is 212-385-8015 and a link to my web site is below.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


There are several possible outcomes. One would be to try to get the case dismissed based upon whether the charges can be proven against you beyond a reasonable doubt. Perhaps you may be able to get an ACD which is an adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal.

Good Luck-

Note: For informational purposes only. Seek an in person consultation with an attorney to be informed about all of your rights.


There is a chance you will be offered an ACD, which means an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal, but because you've had at least two prior cases, in Nassau County, it may not go that easily. It will depend upon the Assistant District Attorney you draw as well as what Judge is sitting at the time. Your best case scenario is you will get the ACD, which means the case will be postponed for six months and if you don't get arrested for anything new in the meantime, it will be dismissed and any record will be expunged.

In a worst case scenario, they may demand you plead guilty to a class "B" Misdemeanor or a Violation and pull some sort of sentence of a fine, community service and or probation, but those don't look real likely in your case.

I won't solicit you since that is not the purpose of this site, but I suggest you hire an experienced attorney who has a high rating on since it independently evaluates attorneys and does the work for you.

Good luck.

You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at This answer does not form an attorney/client relationship with anyone and any answers do not constitute direct legal advice and should not be followed unless and until you have spoken with an attorney of your choice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer