Skip to main content

I was arrested on/ /4/16/13, for criminal threats, can I ask the Police Dept for the report?? without an attorney?

Los Angeles, CA |

I put prior post on the details of the arrest for anyone not knowing what I am talking about.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can but they most likely will not give it to you. The reason being there is a victim involved and they always cite "an on going investigation" as to the reason they will not receive it. They usually will not even release it your attorney either.

Elliot Zarabi

Elliot Zarabi 213-612-7720 This answer does not constitute full legal advise. I do not know the full details of the case and therefore cannot make a full determination on your case or your answer. I always recommend speaking to an attorney in detail regarding your case.


No. Police reports have to redacted, which means the names and addresses of victims have to blacked out. Once your attorney gets the police report, he will redact it and give it to you.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.


They likely will not release the report. In some cases, they release it to an attorney, but even then, not generally. Your attorney can contact the police department's investigating officer for further details and usually they provide such details.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer