I was arrested last week and I was wondering why they didn't take a mugshot or keep me over night.

Lake Charles, LA |

I was arrested for a DUI, wouldn't they have done more, all I got was a ticket and a paper saying to contact the court.

I am guessing that you were issued an appearance ticket - a piece of paper ordering you to return to court at a later date. Depending on the level of the charge(s) against you, you may be required to be photographed and fingerprinted at after the court arraigns you.

Your best course of action is to retain an experienced DUI/DWI attorney to defend you and to appear with you in court. He or she can also contact the court and answer whatever questions you might have.

Attorney Simser is correct this happens on occasion. Where I practice the court will normally just advise my client to go to the police department after the first court appearance to get fingerprinted/photographed. Some courts here actually have a separate room for this inside the courthouse. Regardless you should speak with an attorney in your area about the DUI. If you want to look one up here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

I actually tell my client to avoid booking if they can. If I beat the case, they won't have to get booked. I only tell my clients to get booked if they're ordered to be. Just a thought.

Ethan Patrick Meaney

Ethan Patrick Meaney

Good thought, however in our jurisdiction the judge orders it and our client's actually receive a booking order so no way around that here.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

they order it here too. . .but sometimes they forget so I don't go out of my way to remind them.

Ethan Patrick Meaney

Ethan Patrick Meaney

oh yeah I agree I don't do that either but the clerks usually remind the judge so its a very rare occasion we get out of there without the order. It happens more in misdemeanor cases where our client can actually waive their arraignment. But usually the clerk reminds the judge at the very next court appearance.

Many misdemeanor offenses just get a citation to appear. You may get ordered by the court to get booked later. You almost sound disappointed that you weren't arrested . . .

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

I have cases in a different state and just confused about everything

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

Get a lawyer to help you. Probably the best thing you can do for yourself. If my answer was best, hit "best answer"