Skip to main content

I was arrested in Chelsea, MA when I was 17 for stealing a car and have defaulted court since. I live Nevada now. What to do?

Las Vegas, NV |

1. Is the warrant still active from 1997? if it has been 16 years ago.
2. Do I have to go back to clear this warrant? Or can a defense attorney have it removed for me?
3. How likely is this matter to be dismissed? If it is since 1997
4. Do I hire an attorney from Nevada or a long distance attorney from Chelsea,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


1) Warrants don't really expire generally.
2) It would be a good idea.
3) Hard to say.
4) I would call an attorney in Mass.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.


Warrants don't just go away with the simple passage of time. It is probably still active which technically means you can be arrested at any time. Generally speaking you would have to go back to court to clear the warrant but in some jurisdictions depending on what the charge is for an attorney may be able to resolve the matter without your personal appearance. Whether the case will be dismissed or not will depend on a variety of factors that could only be determined after reviewing the facts and circumstances. You would need a Massachusetts attorney to handle this for you.


GET a Mass lawyer, or if you are in a traffic stop you may be arrested and:
An extradition warrant is issued for the arrest and custody of an accused fugitive and it surrenders him/her to a demanding state or country. An extradition warrant from the governor is necessary to extradite a fugitive. On the issuance of a warrant, a demanding state obtains authority to take a fugitive and try him/her under its jurisdiction.

The Uniform Criminal Extradition Act and the Uniform Extradition and Rendition Act require a governor who receives a valid request for extradition to issue a warrant for the arrest and extradition of the fugitive. The governor can delegate the task of signing of the warrant[i].

An extradition warrant authorizes a law enforcement officer or a person to whom it is directed to arrest a fugitive at any time, any place where s/he may be found. An arrested fugitive is to be brought before a judge before handing him/her to an agent of a demanding state.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer