Skip to main content

I was arrested in 2010 for possession of a weapon in a domestic dispute.

Jamaica, NY |

I was held for 6 hours, then saw a judge who released me, no bail was requested. It was my first time offense. I appeared in court 2 months after for the hearing which was dismissed with a fine to the court. Would this be on my record? This was in NYC.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Doesn't sound like there would be a record. Dismissal's are sealed.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


If you paid a fine there was some kind of
guilty plea. If the plea was to a crime and youthful offender status was not granted, you probably have a record. You can go to the Clerk's office in the jurisdiction where the case was prosecuted for further information.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


There is a record in the court and if you were fingerprinted that record will reach the state police and the FBI. You should have an attorney research this for you.


If the case was actually dismissed then there would be no criminal record. However, if you paid a fine, then the case was not "dismissed." If the charges were reduced to a non-criminal violation, the case should be sealed and not be accessible to the public. If you pled guilty to a misdemeanor, then you would have a criminal record and it would show up in a criminal history check that anyone could do. The only way to know for sure is to order a copy of your rap sheet from Albany, which you can do yourself, or hire an attorney who can look into the matter for you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer