Skip to main content

I was arrested for shoplifting in St Louis Mo. I received a letter from Kohl's asking for payment for the items involved.

Saint Louis, MO |

Should I go ahead and pay this amount to Can a lawyer get this either expunged or changed to something other than less damaging on my record. Can you tell me who (lawyer) to go see to make this happen? I have bipolar disease and at times during manic phases; I do impulsive things. I think that this is what happened because I don't have any other explanation why I did this. I have not received anything from the court system yet as far as charges are concerned but this letter only gives me 30 days to make restitution. What do I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Your situation is not uncommon, but you need to be prudent. Before you do anything, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as you can. Bring the paperwork from Kohl's to that consultation. It might be a good idea to choose a lawyer who offers free consultations if you're on a limited budget.
If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may contact the local Public Defender's office. Their office in St. Louis County is 314-615-4778. They may be able to give you some guidance as well.


My advice is to not speak about your case to anyone other than an attorney that you hire to represent you. You should hire an attorney, and show him the paperwork.


Make the restitution and avoid the criminal charge.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer