Skip to main content

I was arrested for domestic violence in new jersey due to a false complaint by my ex wife. I was found not guilty during trial

Jersey City, NJ |

and the case was dismissed against me. How do I go about expunging the arrest record so that it doesnt show up when I apply for new job or immigration? I would like to do it myself and I am not in a position to spend a lot. How much would it cost me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I suggest that you re-post your question in the "Criminal Defense" Practice Area.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


The arrest can be immediately expunged. That normally works for employment but may not work for immigration. Go to a State website on expungements and they will have the papers and instruction. The filing fees and mailing costs come to less that $200. But if you miss a data base or and item it was wasted effort. An attorney familiar with the process makes sense.


You may expunge it immediately. You must still mention it on most immigration applications. Do not do any immigration yourself with a record.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


You should consult a criminal defense attorney (or an attorney experience in the area). The filing fee for the application is $52.50 and then there are numerous agencies which have to be given notice of the application which has to be done via certified mail return receipt requested. This costs about $7.00 per agency. If you try to do it yourself (not recommended), there is a pro se expungement package available via the Court's website.

The above represents legal information and not legal advise nor a legal opinion of Bryan T. Eggert, Esquire. It is not intended to be relied upon by any person for any particular case. Nor does this opinion create an attorney-client relationship between the poster and the answering party. Whenever seeking legal advise, it is always advisable to consult privately with an attorney concerning your particular matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer