Skip to main content

I was arrested for an outstanding warrant and was kept in central bookings for 36 hours before seeing a lawyer can i sue?

New York, NY |

The reason I ask this is, I read on the Legal Aid website that by state law Im supposed to see a lawyer within 24 hours of being arrested. Any help would be appreciated

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The 1964 Civil Rights Act has laws in place to protect citizens from wrongs done under color of law.

You might find helpful my Legal Guide "What is a civil right?"

Those civil rights laws protect against those who act in violation of constitutional protections under color of law. Talk to your lawyer.

Without a lot more detail, no further observation is possible. There may have been an extension to the hours for investigation.

Good luck to you. You should consult with a local attorney to determine your rights and the best remedy for your situation.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

God bless you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


Generally the rule is 24 hours, however there is an exception under many circumstances so long as there is reasonable effort to get you out in front of a judge within 24 hours. Any delay because of processing, finger prints, a large number of people in the system on that given day etc. would all be seen as justifiable reasons for the delay.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer