I was arrested for a DUI charge. But my BAC level was 0.06 But I'm only 20

Chickamauga, GA |

I advise that you apply for a public defender, and that should hopefully buy you some time to sort this out and be able to better determine how to proceed. There are ways to possibly preserve your license, and potentially avoid jail time, but without an attorney advising you, the odds of success are substantially decreased. Only a conviction would appear on your record. Also, depending on what you may end up pleading to (if anything), you may or may not have to be concerned about whether your license will nonetheless be suspended based on the charge and/or points for that offense. Good luck.

I didn't lose my license, or get probation, community service, or have to take DUI classes. They dismissed all my charges & switched my DUI to a disorderly conduct .

.06 is over the legal limit of .02 if you are under 21. You need a lawyer so if you can't afford one, apply for the public defender.

The legal limit in Georgia for someone under 21 is .02. However, you should speak to an attorney, either retained or court appointed, about any defenses you may have. Many times we are able to get the actual test number thrown out before trial.

You should in any case delay the resolution of your case until you turn 21 if at all possible. If you are convicted of a DUI while you are 20, you will be facing a much stiffer license suspension than if the conviction comes after your 21st birthday.

You are not likely looking at more than a day in jail if that, so that should not be a concern for you. You will face fines, probation, community service, DUI school, and you will not be allowed to drink for a full year.

If you truly can't afford an attorney (not just that your parents don't want to shell out the money for one), you should apply for a court appointed attorney tomorrow. They will consider your household income and decide whether you qualify for a free attorney. If not, you need to borrow the money to get one. If you are under 21, a BAC over .02 is a per se DUI. YOu will go to jail. You will be put on probation. You will pay a fine. You will be required to do community service. You will have to complete a driving course (DUI Risk Reduction Program) and you may be required to complete a substance abuse evaluation and any recommended treatment. You will also lose your license. At your age, you will not be able to get a limited driving permit. Therefore, you will have to get somebody to take you everywhere. Finally, it will be on your record for the rest of your life, affecting your insurance premiums and job opportunities. Most defenses to DUI are very technical. YOu will need an attorney to look at your case and determine whether you have any defenses. Whatever you do, don't try to represent yourself. It will not end well for you.

Allen Rust Knox

Allen Rust Knox

What is this, an "I told you so." Guess what, they didn't give you a disorderly conduct because they pittied you. They gave you a reduced charge b/c they didn't have the evidence to convict you of DUI. If the officer was that eager to reduce the charges, he was worried about something in the case that he did wrong. You just got convicted of something they couldn't prove. Congratulations.

uhm excuse me? no. it wasn't an "I told you so" I was just letting you know. and the cop told me when I was arrested he'd help me out at court, & that's exactly what he did. no need to be rude.

Ask for a Court appointed lawyer.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.

Thanks y'all! I went & the cop helped me out & my 3 other charges were dismissed, my DUI was switched to a disorderly conduct & I didn't lose my license or get community service, probation, or DUI classes! GOD IS GOOD :)

The legal limit for a person under 21 is 0.02 BAC. The 0.06 BAC reading is 3 times the legal limit because you are under 21. I would advise you tomdomeverything that you can to retain the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you. If you are not able to retain an attorney, the. Apply for a Public Defender. In,order to avoid some of the drivers license suspension issues, I would advise you to try and delay a resolution in the case until you are 21 years old. If you are convicted after you turn 21 you will be able to get a limited driving permit. If you are convicted of DUI the Georgia law REQUIRES that you serve Jail Time. Additionally, a CONVICTION will remain on your Criminal History for the REST LF YOUR LIFE. I hope this information has been helpful. Good Luck!!! George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.