Skip to main content

I was adopted in the Philippines by Americans, but never applied for a green card! What do I do?

Oakland, CA |

I was born in 1984 in the Philippines and adopted when I was 1 yr. old by US citizens. I came to the US with my adopted mother at the age of 2 with a Philippine passport. I had some stamps in it, but it was lost during a move over a decade ago. I applied for a US Passport, but I'm unsure about my citizenship. I'm told that I acquired citizenship through the CCA of 2000 under the conditions that one of my adopted parents is a US citizen, the adoption was full and final, and if I was admitted in the US as LPR. However, I'm not sure if I am a LPR because I don't have a green card. My mother didn't apply for one prior to coming to the States. I think my passport was stamped, but I can't verify if it was a I-551 stamp because I don't have it anymore. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your first step is to make a FOIA request. You can find the form at
You will be provided a complete copy of your immigration record on CD.

You should also try to get a record of the adoption in the Philippines as well as in the United States.


If you applied for the US passport you should also have the US citizen.
You may have dual citizenship. I would encourage you to hire an attorney in your locality.
Please read also here

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


IN all likelihood you are a USC, based on your description. Please contact an immigration attorney in person for more information. Also visit Good site.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer